Monday

Quote of the Week: Proverbs 17:27

Photo Courtesy of Jroota
"A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered." ~Proverbs 17:27 

Another way of saying this is, "those who are sure of themselves don't talk all the time. People who stay calm have insight." We have all heard the saying, silence is golden. Living in a world of constant babble it is not only golden, but also a rare commodity. With so many avenues for people to have a platform, they are taking full advantage of their ability to share thoughts, insights, opinions and talents. There is nothing wrong with it except the fact that noise in itself is a distraction. Our society has gotten used to being distracted as a way of life. 

Noise is a pollutant to our minds, our imaginations, our creativity, and our genius. In order to get the light bulb moment, the big idea, the answers to the questions... we only need to be quiet. Everything we need to create wealth and operate in our natural abilities and gifts, we already possess. We miss it though because of the constant noise drowning us out and filling us up with the unimportant. 

One huge part of my creative process, the way I work through various challenges in my career as well as in my life is through silence. I will sit and think, listen, observe my thoughts, feelings and wait. I always have to have a pen and paper handy to capture all the great ideas that come to me when I drown out everything else and focus on hearing my inner self. I am inspired by others, by life, by experience, but my best ideas come from within. I am naturally a silent person. I don't talk a lot. I am an introvert and enjoy the company of silence over people. I am much more comfortable writing then communicating verbally. However, I am learning a balance and also learning how to be mindful of my responsibility to not contribute to the noise. If I don't have anything to say, I don't say anything. I don't talk for the sake of talking. I talk to communicate a point, to evoke a certain reaction/emotion or to share or encourage. It drives my friends and family bananas, my operating in silence. However, I don't feel like I have anything to prove to anyone. I am just learning how to be my most authentic self, this will speak louder than any words that come from my mouth.

I encourage you to spend some time in silence this week. Learn how to be alone and comfortable with yourself. Drown out the noise around you. Also, know you should be comfortable enough in yourself to never have to say anything at all to anyone. Body language, demeanor, and actions are a much more accurate way of showing people who you are and what you are about. No word justifications needed. 

Do you talk over your insecurities? Do you use noise as a distraction from dealing with issues or living on purpose? Are you a person who hates to be in silence? Why? Let me know your thoughts.

~C. Nzingha

No comments:

Post a Comment