Tuesday

Quote of the Week- James A. Lafond-Lewis



"The fearless are the people who act in spite of their fear." 
-James A. LaFond-Lewis

Feel the fear and do it anyway. Act in spite of your fear. A lot of what goes on in our heads are but imaginations and there is no way of knowing what the outcome is going to be until we begin to do the very thing it is we are afraid of. Action is the only way you will overcome fear. It is natural to be afraid, to be apprehensive, to want to stop where you are and not take another step toward your destiny. 

We have to find out the basis of our fear. Is it based on a past experience? Or have you let your imagination get the best of the situation and you are sitting still because of what "could" happen? Two totally different situations and most of the time we are standing still and afraid of the unknown. We are being forced to move into areas where we have no idea what is going to happen and what the outcomes are going to be, this causes us to be paralyzed. Protecting yourself from hurt is natural. It is another thing to never have experienced something, but be paralyzed by preconceived notions on what to expect without any evidence of negative. This is the type of fear which will keep you where you don't want to be. 

Faith is the opposite of fear. Being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see. Right now in my faith walk, I am at a point where I have exhausted all my familiar possibilities and am being forced to not only go where I have never been, but to do it in boldness and certainty. The pathway is dark and uncertain, but I have come too far to turn back and the place where I am now, is not a place of comfort. There is no other choice but to keep moving forward. 

Here are a few things I do to help me overcome any fear that arises:
  • I look at every situation as an opportunity 
  • I realize I have nothing to lose in trying
  • I believe people are going to be willing to help me 
  • I anticipate the best outcome first and give myself permission to fail
  • I realize I am in control of my reactions and reject all negative feelings as they arise
This has taken some anxiety out of acting in spite of the fear. Many people who know me are shocked to hear me speak about being afraid or fearful because don't let the fear stop me, I do it anyway. This is the difference. Even though I am scared and have no idea what the outcome will be, I know the only way I will find out the definite outcome is to act and see what happens. Afterwards I can adjust, change or try something else and as soon as I decide to act in spite of the fear, the fear no longer controls me. Then I realized there was nothing to be afraid of after all.


What things are you afraid of? Have you tried them yet to find out if you have anything to be afraid of? How have you overcome some past fears? Let me know your thoughts.

~C. Nzingha

5 comments:

  1. I think that fear is relative to how you have handled things in the past. You are fearful because results may have not gone in your favor or if you have seen people you think are more skilled not do well at something, that could play a role. People tend to find strength in others and compare success and failure based on "peer" or family ideals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vance,

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving your feedback. I have to disagree with you. I'm speaking from personal experience, I'm not fearful of things I have experience with. The fear I speak about in the blog post is dealing with the fear of the unknown for people walking their paths toward their destiny, not within everyday life situations. Many of the people who I have spoken to based off their individual situations have never been where they are going and are partaking in things they have no way of measuring or making a comparison to based on success or failure, it's all new and they have gotten tripped up on the fear of the unknown. So, while some people might get tripped up based off of a past experience, again this is not the case when you are doing new things because you have nothing to base the fear off of. What happens when your family doesn't have any ideals or ways in which you can harness strengths and compare?

      Delete
  2. Peoples experience level controls fear. If you have overcome some personal challenges or struggled through and completed a goal, you are less likely to have fear. Failure is as relative as art. The individual determines those things.. Most people fear the after. What will people say how will I be judged etc.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, in order to have overcome or completed a goal, you have to act and in the action you conquer the fear. Again, I have to disagree with you in the "most people fear the after". If you have gotten past it, what is there to fear? Leaders and those who are aggressively pursuing their purpose in life are not really concerned with the peanut gallery I don't think. I could be wrong, but when you have a clear vision, you are less inclined to care. IJS. Love the feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have misquoted me and miss the main point in the restatement. I said, "The fearless are merely fearless. People who act in spite of their fear are truly brave." Jim LaFond-Lewis

    ReplyDelete