Friday

Don't Assume You're Grown-Up!


Maturity is not measured by the number of years a person has lived. Instead, the yardstick of maturity is marked by the qualities of self-denial, determination, and dependability." Xenia Garcia

Maturity is defined by freedictionary.com as the state or quality of being fully grown or developed. According to alleydog.com maturity in psychology has little to do with age, but with the ability to react, cope and reason in an appropriate way for the situation. Maturity is learned through experiences and comes from healthy growth, just like a strong body. Guidance in coping with emotional situations is what is needed to grow in maturity. The way a person deals with a crisis or makes decisions are good clues about their level of maturity.In order to be successful in business, in life and in love, one must possess a healthy level of emotional maturity. The question is not whether or not we can acquire things or attract people into our lives, we can do anything we put our minds to. The more appropriate question is: can we handle the things we want once we get them? Love, wealth, success, good health all come with the cost of responsibility.
We have to take responsibility for our actions and the results of them and refrain from placing blame on others when things don't go as planned. Even though we our adults by age, I'm becoming witness more and more to adult cry babies, adult temper tantrums and immaturity in people who are my senior. It has made me take a step back to reflect and examine myself because in my opinion it's extremely unattractive and unprofessional. Last night in fact I had to look in the mirror and tell myself I take full responsibility for every choice I've ever made, for my current status and position in life, for my happiness, for my career for everything. At that moment of vulnerability I took back the power I gave up to others. I had previously given power to others by transferring responsibility for myself and my actions over to them, by accepting an unconscious victim mindset. I am the boss of me and I'm not reactive, I'm proactive. I assume the responsibility of my level of success by using everyday to my advantage and by consistently making good decisions. As we give thanks for being blessed this week and throughout the weekend, it's a good time to reflect and assume responsibility for yourself and your actions and the consequences that have resulted in your actions and decisions. It's not enough to think you're grown and have reached a certain level of maturity by mere age alone. Your actions, thought process, outward expression and communication skills all have to confirm your level of maturity and line up with appropriate behavior. It's easy to place blame on others. It's difficult to hold yourself accountability to how your life is and will ultimately be. You have the power to control you and to change the circumstances in which are causing you to be unhappy, unsuccessful and unfulfilled. The first step is maturity and healthy emotional health in life, love and business.How do you normally react when things don't go your way or when you face obstacles? Do you place blame, have a tantrum or face it and deal with it to change it? Let me know your thoughts.C. Nzingha

2 comments:

  1. Society has told people that milestones such as legal age to drive, age to vote, age to drink, etc....dictates maturity. We have all said at one time or another in our youth "When I turn 21 I will_____________" Movies are rated based on viewing age. Toys and video games you name it, society. As an adult, some of us want things to be easier and yearn for a less stressful, more carefree, childlike, nostalgic life. Bottom line is pressure makes diamonds or can break levees. How adversity or success fuels you is the key. Certain situations my bring out both extremes. You may get through a tough situation the cry like a baby afterwards. Or cry then regroup and go on to finish a hard task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Vance!

    You bring up some good points. As adults we have more responsibility and it's natural to sometimes desire an easier life or a less exhausting road to travel on our way to success. What I will say is: it's not the adversity itself, it's your response to the adversity that determines your level of maturity.

    Crying after a tough situation is not a sign of immaturity, it's more about how you handle the situation as a whole. If you run from it, don't face the adversity, cry and give up, get on the defensive after you realize you need help, etc...are all signs of immaturity. It's more about whether or not you choose to finish, take responsibility and face it. A big part of maturity is acknowledging you have a chose in how you respond to life, others, adversity and acting. Thanks for your comment!

    ~C. Nzingha

    ReplyDelete